Title

Title

header

header

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Together Forever

I am an elementary school teacher. During the fall of last year my brother in law was killed in Afghanistan. He was in my Army and was assigned as an Engineer. Because of the nature of the death I took two weeks off of school to help get things in order for the funeral. During the days that ensued my sister in law, mother in law and my husband flew to Dover to meet the body as it came home. Then the the whole family was at the local airforce base to meet the body as it came back into town. The media was everywhere and as such many of the events were well documented. Several of the teachers at my school cut out news articles about my brother in law and gave them to me. I have one hanging on my wall by my desk. I don't notice much anymore, but as the season cools and fall looms in the air the feelings from last fall return. We are grateful for his service and sacrifice. But somedays are easier than others. I miss his midnight phone calls to my husband. I miss the phone calls to me when he couldn't get my husband. I miss hearing the updates on his most recent missions from his wife.I had only been a part of this family for two and a half years when he was killed. But, he was my brother. While my husband and I were dating he said to me, "It's important to me that you understand and accept the fact that my brother is my best friend and will always be welcom in my house." So, when we were first married my brother in law would come over often for dinner or to drag my husband to play basketball. He was part of our family. I love him like my own brother and miss him like I would a brother. But, I know that we will be together forever someday. I know it!

1 comment:

  1. Belinda, So sorry for your loss. It is such a comfort to know that we will see our loved ones again. Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete